MURRAY SMOKED PRODUCTS is situated on the side of a glen, carved out when Loch Awe emptied out to the west through the Euroch Gorge to the Atlantic. Still to be seen at its narrowest part are the huge circles carved out of the bedrock by the vast amount of water which passed by.
Today, at Ford, a Telford Bridge built in 1793 crosses the river, which now flows east.
When the sea and lochs retreated, early man came to build crannogs in the lochs, standing stones near Dunadd and castles and at nearby Dalriada, where the early kings of Scotland were crowned.
In the 1800s, steamers appeared on Loch Awe carrying passengers and cargo. A day trip from the cities, by train, arrived at Loch Awe station, then by steamer to Ford, calling at numerous piers on the way. At Ford pier, tea and scones were available. Then passengers were taken by four-in-hand coach to Ardrishaig, then the steamer back to Glasgow. The last steamer on the Loch dates backto the early 1950s.
At one time, Loch Awe was renowned for its salmon and trout fishing and the hotels round the loch side catered mainly for fishing enthusiasts. Sadly, those great days have gone. The fishing enthusiasts have been replaced with by tourists, walkers, cyclists and the hotels by holiday homes. So many changes are taking place.
We supply high quality restaurants in the "Seafood capital of Scotland" and the surrounding Oban area, e.g Ee-usk, Piazza